Successful Search Checklist
- Complete the Hiring Request Form at the Provost website.
- Review/update or create a position description for the vacant position.
(Staff Creating a Position Description, Staff Modifying a Position Description, Faculty Creating a Position Description, Faculty Modifying a Position Description)
- Receive position approval.
- Create the requisition announcement from the position description in Workday.
(Staff Creating a Position Announcement, Faculty Creating a Position Announcement)
- Implement a recruitment plan and identify recruitment resources that aid in assuring
a strong and diverse applicant pool. Information should include the use of minimally
three (3) Diverse Recruitment Sources and EEO/Affirmative Action Statement on each posting (Advertising approval may take place multiple times during process.)
Example External Position Announcements
(Creating a Recruitment Plan/Posting Documents)
- Receive approval to advertise.
- Place all external advertisements.
- Develop a set of position-specific interview questions to be consistently used when interviewing all potential candidates.
- Applicants apply online for position.
- Screen Resumes/Curricula Vitaes and other applicant materials (Reviewing Applicant Materials & Reviewing Applicant Reports)
- Evaluate credentials of all minimally qualified applicants based upon established
written job-related criteria.
(Quick Reference Guides: Ratings, Statuses and Reason Codes Defined:Classified and Non-Classified & Faculty)
- Select top qualified applicants that require additional screening.
- Conduct pre-interview screenings with top candidates (optional).
- Select the top candidates based on established job-related criteria.
- Receive approval to conduct the final or on-campus interview.
- Invite candidates for final or on-campus interviews; conduct interviews using job-related interview questions, and document candidate responses.
- Select the top candidate based on established job-related criteria.
- Verify reference list with top candidate and inform him/her that his/her references will be contacted. Check references and document responses.
- Conduct background check, if applicable.
- Create the hire proposal in Workday.
(Staff hiring proposals, Faculty hiring proposals)
- Receive approval to extend an offer.
- Make an offer for hire.
- Confirm the offer and/or acceptance in writing with a letter.
- Initiate the closing of the posting by attaching final signed offer letter in Workday.
Hiring Documentation Checklist
Most relevant documentation will be maintained through the Workday system. All other hiring documentation used throughout the hiring process must be maintained by the hiring department for minimally three years, unless under review. Below is a checklist of materials that may not be attached in Workday, but should be included in the file.
- Credential evaluation criteria, if not utilized within the Workday system.
- Hiring supervisor and search committee interview forms/questions, notes, and evaluation instruments.
- Reference checks conducted/forms and notes.