Functions & Responsibilities
The Office of Equal Opportunity and Compliance guides, assists and monitors the University community to ensure fair and equal treatment of all individuals in the processes that affect education and employment by enforcing all federal/state laws and regulations as well as university policies and procedures related to civil rights, equal employment opportunity, and non-discrimination.
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Develop an annual Affirmative Action Plan.
- Administer a Recruitment Manual.
- Provide a list of University job openings. Provide consultation, information, training, and technical advice to departments and search committees for non-classified and faculty positions on recruitment strategies and procedures throughout the recruitment and hiring process. This may include information for recruiting minorities and women from registers and working with departments to set goals for affirmative action.
- Monitor and approve all administrative, faculty and staff hiring decisions.
- Evaluate and investigate discrimination complaints filed by students, faculty and staff.
- Respond to complaints filed against the University of Arkansas with state and federal agencies and monitor the resolution of such complaints.
- Provide information relating to accommodations under the American Disabilities Act.
- Provide training to the campus community on the University's non-discrimination policy, including sexual harassment.
- Enhance the University of Arkansas' strong community presence as an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- Serve as management liaison to governmental enforcement agencies and minority community groups and organizations.
- Make policy recommendations that enhance the University's commitment to affirmative action and equal opportunity.